Backing up RAC server filesystems

I am trying to get offline backups configured for my RAC server nodes. I was
planning on having all local filesystems backed up, but the offline backup team
says they don't backup the OS by default because it can be re-installed. My
hope is that in the event the local disk on the server goes out it could be
replaced and a restore done and the node restarted. Given that RAC modifies a
lot on the OS I'm not sure this would work at all if all that was backed up was
/oracle.
Is this a good strategy (backing up all filesystems)?
Am I better to rebuild the node, do a deletenode and then addnode?
Other thoughts?

Thanks,

- Jed