Re: Back and a Question

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jkstill@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 06:38:39 +0100

On 8/15/06, Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There are no rules that state "developers cannot have access to production data"

we impose (actually I am trying to :( ) impose the rule that developers cannot have access to production *systems*. Sure they might need to see the data, or a subset thereof, to replicate an issue - though with appropriately written and instrumented software you should just need the logs :) - that doesn't translate into hacking around on production.

It is highly unlikely that a developer, or anyone else for that matter, will
get an
account that is anything other than read only.

and how do you do that and make support work? Actually there is a wider how do you do that at all, but I digress.

-- Niall Litchfield Oracle DBA http://www.orawin.info