Re: BIN$ tables

  • From: "Dennis Williams" <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidsharples@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 12:32:05 -0600

David,

I haven't had the opportunity to use 10g yet, but I like your opinion that
overall this is a great feature, and wonder what the experience of others
has been.
 One of the quickest way to shut down a production application is to have
two screens before you, one for test, one for production. Enter the drop
table command into the wrong screen. The second easiest is to have a script
lying about which conveniently begins with DROP TABLE, followed by CREATE
TABLE. Have that executed at the wrong time on the wrong system, and
catastrophe ensues. I have usually exported the small static tables weekly
just to be able to recover from this problem.

But I can see this can be frustrating when working with large tables because
an additional step is required in order to release the space.

Dennis Williams