Re: Autoextend or not?

Jared,

  I think you hit the nail there, if yo have space to spare, then
autoextend can be a good thing, and as Nuno said, limiting it so the
FS never runs out of space can save you a lot of calls during the
night... I am not sure, however, if it has any impact on performance,
or if it would make it necessary to defragment FS or to redifne
objects inside the growing DFs.

   In any case, for out particular environment, there is little space
left on any one filesystem, and customer is charged by GB, so they are
not so keen on having unused space in the servers... that's why
autoextend is not the best option for us.

    I can see, however, that there are no technical advantages to
autoextend, while there are many other advantages, and really good
ones indeed.

Thank you all :-)

Alan Bort
Oracle Certified Professional