RE: Authorete

  • From: April Wells <AWells@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 08:14:34 -0600

you have to use the pointy clicky and it has to have xyz privileges and it
looks at abc table and it expects abc  table to be abc instead of
THE$AUTHORETE$AUTH.a and THE$AUTHORETE$AUTH.b  and THE$AUTHORETE$AUTH.c

BUT

THE$AUTHORETE$AUTH can also DROP its tables and alter ist tables (NOT that I
have had anyone log in as an APPS owner and drop a production table and wait
a week to fess up to it ... but.. ya know... ).

SO...

JOEBLOW userid has to log in and see the USER table and the PRIVILEGE table
and the GRANT table with those <exact> ever so clever names and everyone who
uses the front end has to have the ability to know that userid and
password... but if they know the THE$AUTHORETE$AUTH  userid they can not
only alter data and use the pointy clicky, they can TRASH whatever it owns.

This really wasn't that complicated... I know what I need it to do and what
I need it not to be able to do, I just walked into this project in the
middle of the conversation because the person who didn't leave documentation
on anything (ya know... like passwords or what anything is about with the
stupid product) is in MEXICO and they needed to upgrade the objects and they
needed to pipe in SQL Server data, but NEEDED to use the pointy clicy to get
the data in because "I" am not allowed to get any information on the SQL
Server end to be of any assistance and the tech on the phone said just drop
all of the objects and let the pointy clicky do it (so everything that the
Authorete DBA did in the first place ... with no documentation... went bye
bye after all of the underlying objects were dropped... and the JOEBLOW user
could no longer log in because it wanted the USER and the PRIVILEGE table to
be "USER" and "PRIVILEGE" not THE$AUTHORETE$AUTH.USER or
THE$AUTHORETE$AUTH.PRIVILEGE....

AND, other than creating all the synonyms to the THE$AUTHORETE$AUTH.<TABLE>
under JOEBLOW account... there weren't many other ways I could figure out to
make JOEBLOW see USER as USER instead of THE$AUTHORETE$AUTH.USER...

April Wells
Oracle DBA/Oracle Apps DBA
Corporate Systems
Amarillo Texas
"Few people really enjoy the simple pleasure of flying a kite"
Adam Wells age 11
"Imagination is the highest kite one can fly."
Lauren Bacall