RE: Are you angry DBA?

  • From: "Marquez, Chris" <cmarquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>, <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 12:44:13 -0400

>>If they break, guess  who is responsible? [TO FIX IT]

No different for me.

But this (for me) comes down to what Stephen said.
Often the DBA has all the responsibility, with some or little authority.
If you can stop or change anything, at anytime in your shop then you are one of
the few.

If it is passwords/accesses, bad code/design, or a rush to judgment/production
often it is not the DBA who decides the next course of action...or the action
just taken.

Please don't misunderstand this as a DBA is helpless...not at all...often the
DBA has one of the strongest hands in the IT dept and they listen.  But,
sometimes it falls on deaf ears...a push to get something done.

We have a responsibly to explain things I agree, but little authority to stop
anything.

When anyone asserts authority they do not have, they are not a team player, a
complainer, an Angry DBA, no?

Gotta pick your battles...and sometimes it is ok to let someone/something
fail...especially when when they insist on it...we have all been there, don't
say you havn't walked out of a meeting syaing "that is going to crash and burn"
(maybe even as you told them it would) and you watched it happen.

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA