Re: April 2010 CPU

  • From: kathryn axelrod <kat.axe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 09:40:06 -0700

Pure speculation, but in looking at the patch, I'd theorize that it was due
to the fact that it contains the fix for bug 8226792.
The bug was fixed in bundle#19 and to apply #19 (and all after since each
one is cumulative), it lists dropping statspack as a pre-install step.
However, #18 and the patch sets prior do not contain this bug-fix, nor this
pre-install step..

Again - just a theory of why. But, if that is the reason, that means that
all future 11.1.0.7 sets will contain this requirement and in order to get
away from it, you'd have to upgrade to 11.2...One would hope that at the
very least they would have 'if you have already applied the fix for X, you
do not need to drop statspack'. But so far...no such luck.

So, to repeat Jared's statement - "How convenient." Which is all the more
convenient if you're supposed to keep up on each patch set release - and
perform this step every time.