RE: Application architecture & prod/pre-prod switcheroos

  • From: "Murching, Bob" <bob_murching@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'chupit@xxxxxxxxx'" <chupit@xxxxxxxxx>, "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:59:38 -0500

"Could you just leave it at changing the synonyms and then remember which
one is pre-prod? You could have a 3rd schema that simply stores the fact
about which of the other schema's is pre-prod and which is prod, and then
use this during the pre-prod loading process."

Yup, that's what we do right now.  The loading process has enough checks in
it to help me sleep better at night.  This is more of a due diligence
thing... Is there a more elegant approach with less risk from the DBA side?

"Switching the schemas by changing the synonyms is ingenous.  To symplify
it, why not have two databases with the same schema - identical except for
data content - and just repoint the listener?"

I remember considering that, it seemed to me (at the time) that a synonym
drop/recreate could be done a lot more quickly, and with less risk to an
established JDBC connection pool, than repointing the listener.

"Or maybe you can have a luxury of having one logon trigger that executes
alter session set current_schema?"

Now *that's* ingenious... But again, there's that established connection
pool that the J2EE app is using.  The sessions are persistent, so login
triggers wouldn't work...

Someone else mentioned (privately) using BCV or snap/clone capabilities in
the underlying storage in place of the whole Data Pump thing.  Not sure what
the interplay would be, considering that we are using ASM, but it's another
option I'm thinking about.

Appreciate the ideas....

--
Best regards,