Re: Application Express Install

  • From: Bill Ferguson <wbfergus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 06:48:36 -0600

Hi Jeff,

The easiest way (and the only way I know of) to accomplish what you
want would be to have a separate machine setup with your OAS
webserver. Then, Install Apex on each database you want to communicate
with.

On your webserver, copy the images directory and all subdirectories
from one of your Apex installations. Then, configure your tnsnames.ora
file on the webserver so that it knows what (and where) the other
machines are at. Finally, in the dads.conf file on the webserver,
create a DAD for each database.

I wouldn't recommend using the Apex listener (java based add-on) or
the EPG gateway for production systems, especially if they contain any
"sensitive" information. Using the approach above, you can easily
simulate your requested functionality, though more securely. If the
webserver happened to get hacked, the hacker doesn't automatically get
access to your database or the information, they'll still need to do
some further work to access your databases. With this setup, the
webserver merely acts as the receptionist and directs traffic to
whatever machine the user specified in the URL (DAD). The only problem
with this approach would be if you'd need an application with data
from multiple databases residing on different machines. In many cases
you could simply create the database links and then the subsequent
views, but if any of the data is LONG or LOB's, then you may have
issues with those, as I remember a while back people having problems
with LOB's across database links.

--
-- Bill Ferguson