Re: Anyone using Oracle "in the cloud"?

  • From: Jeremiah Wilton <jwilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: janine@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 19:28:06 -0700

On Aug 10, 2009, at 5:01 PM, Janine Sisk wrote:

I'm doing an 11g install to an Amazon EC2 server, my first experience with both. At the moment I'm starting to think about backups. I know Oracle has a "Cloud Backup" product that will back up directly to S3, but it is unclear to me whether or not I would need a license to use it. Their FAQ says

...snip

- Does anyone know whether or not this feature has to be licensed separately?

According to the Oracle Documentation at http://bit.ly/3XR3MW the licensing for OSB Cloud Module is by concurrent SBT channel.

- Has anyone developed any EC2 backup schemes they'd like to share, with or without Cloud Backup?

There are a variety of excellent optimizations available both for running Oracle on EC2/EBS and for improving backup performance to S3. Unfortunately, the best optimization for RMAN backup to S3 is to use many channels (which increases license cost). Some other approaches:

- Use incrementals
- Back up mainly archivelogs and take datafile backups only as often as required to achieve acceptable MTTR
- Use compressed backup sets
- Use only as many channels as you must to achieve acceptable backup time, and add more channels as you grow - Work with Oracle to reduce license costs by agreeing to be a reference customer for OSB to the cloud

I am concentrating on Oracle on Amazon Cloud this year for writing and presentations. I will be doing extensive research and testing on performance and architecture, especially as it pertains to I/O to EBS and S3, but also addressing issues of persistence and Oracle version deployment. Anyone with Amazon cloud questions feel free to ask me.

Regards,

Jeremiah Wilton
Blue Gecko, Inc.
Remote Database Administration