RE: Anyone using 10.1 client to 11.2 DB?

  • From: "Dunbar, Norman (Capgemini)" <norman.dunbar.capgemini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rjoralist2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 07:44:23 +0100

Hey Rich,

>> ... I do not have control over much of anything
>> about the various vendor apps, much less how they've linked to the
Oracle
>> Client libs.
I'm using 10 client to talk to 11.2 databases - no problems.

All I can say, given your statement above, is beware if the application
is written using Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC). I have
discovered that there is a registry setting (well, 3) that specifies the
dlls to be loaded when connecting to an Oracle client. This does mean
that every MDAC application you use MUST use the same version of Oracle
client software - because the registry says so. Plus, that version must
be on the path.

Dare I mention that the dll names are different for each version of
Oracle client?

The registry settings you need are at
"HKLM/software/microsoft/msdtc/MTxOCI" and the three settings you need
are, OracleOciLib, OracleSqlLib & OracleXaLib.

For various versions of Oracle client these need to be set as follows:

Client  RegEntry                Value
Oracle 7        OracleOciLib    ociw32.dll
Oracle 7        OracleSqlLib    sqllib18.dll
Oracle 7        OracleXaLib             xa73.dll

Client  RegEntry                Value
Oracle 8        OracleOciLib    oci.dll
Oracle 8        OracleSqlLib    sqllib80.dll
Oracle 8        OracleXaLib             xa80.dll

Client  RegEntry                Value
Oracle 8i       OracleOciLib    oci.dll
Oracle 8i       OracleSqlLib    orasql8.dll
Oracle 8i       OracleXaLib             oraclient8.dll

Client  RegEntry                Value
Oracle 9i       OracleOciLib    oci.dll
Oracle 9i       OracleSqlLib    orasql9.dll
Oracle 9i       OracleXaLib             oraclient9.dll

Client  RegEntry                Value
Oracle 10g      OracleOciLib    oci.dll
Oracle 10g      OracleSqlLib    orasql10.dll
Oracle 10g      OracleXaLib             oraclient10.dll

Client  RegEntry                Value
Oracle 11g      OracleOciLib    oci.dll
Oracle 11g      OracleSqlLib    orasql11.dll
Oracle 11g      OracleXaLib             oraclient11.dll

I'm not a great MDAC fan and I *think* that some applications can use
certain component of MDAC without needing these settings - you will find
out when you attempt to run the application with the 11g client, if it
works, yippee (technical term) if not, I'd head into the registry and
see what you find!

I can say that I recently upgraded an application (ok, 6 of them) which
were hard coded to use Client 7.3 by the registry setting. They now use
10.2.0.5 with no problems at all. Much testing was done to make sure of
course!

HTH

Cheers,
Norm.

Norman Dunbar
Contract Senior Oracle DBA
Capgemini Database Team (EA)
Internal : 7 28 2051
External : 0113 231 2051

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged.
If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender
immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should
still check any attachment before opening it.
We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under
the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation.  Email
messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may
also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business
purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms
and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506.  Find out more
about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk