Re: Anyone tried connecting to 10.1 DB from 11.2 client?

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 13:43:41 -0500 (CDT)

Mark writes:

> At a client site, I have an 11.2.0.1 client on 64-bit Windows where SQL*Plus
> gets called from shell scripts running in Cygwin and the client connects to
> both 10.2 and 10.1 databases on Unix.  I've noticed infrequent wrong query
> results get returned.  It appears to be related to load on the database

I opened an SR to ask my question, which went something like this:

Me:  11.2 client to 10.1 DB is not supported.  What specifically doesn't work?
OS:  11.2 client is not supported to connect to 10.1 DB.
Me:  I know that, but I need to know the specifics of *why*.
OS:  We do not know why.
Me:  Close SR without solution
OS:  Close/No fault found

I was also able to get an 11.2 instance client to successfully connect and
interact with our dev 10.1 DB.  But the end story is that I'm not allowing
an 11.2 client to connect to our 10.1 Production instance.  I'm going to
investigate the more painful testing route in the interest of Production
integrity and uptime.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback!

Rich