Re: Anyone running 10gR2 EM/GC on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 AS

  • From: "Ghassan Salem" <salem.ghassan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:57:55 +0100

Charles,
from what I could get, the issue is with the JVM, it seems that it does not
allow symbolic links when paths are used in a some types of classes (JNI
interfaces, it seems, but I'm not a Java guy, so cannot really verify or
explain much).

rgds

On 12/12/06, Charles Schultz <sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As Ghassan Salem pointed out, and as many of you probably already know,
Oracle Application Server is not supported on symbolic links. In the process
of getting over my complete disbelief in this premise, I have to ask if
anyone out there knows the technical reasons for this? My linux sysadmin has
these questions that I would love to know the answers to myself:

Which kernel operation are they saying can distinguish between a symlink &
a directory?
Will we be able to revert this change once we're done?
Will the other machines that have /u01 need the same change?
What command are you running that fails?
What is the command doing that would succeed without a symlink?

--
Charles Schultz