RE: Anyone Using Kronos?

  • From: "Scott Canaan" <srcdco@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jeffrey Beckstrom" <JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "M Rafiq" <rafiq9857@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 13:43:42 -0400

That's where we were getting the error, too.  It would upgrade from 4.3
to 5.2 without any problems, but when it got to the 6.0 upgrade.sql
script, it would error.  The problem is that there is an anonymous
PL/SQL block in that script that does no error checking.  So if there's
anything wrong, it will just abort and not tell you anything.  You can
see it in the log.  When I tried to talk to Kronos support, they told me
that they don't expect there to be any errors and if there are, then
we'd have to send them a copy of our database and some money and they'd
look at it.  I tried to get to a developer, but they won't let you in
that far.  The response was always "Do it our way or pay us to do it for
you".  One thing that you must do is to grant execute on
dbms_redefinition to tkcsowner.  That upgrade.sql anonymous PL/SQL block
calls it several times.  The objective of that PL/SQL block is simply to
change the datatypes to national character set datatypes (char to nchar,
varchar2 to nvarchar2, clob to nclob).  Because there are some tables
with varchar2(4000) fields that can't be changed to nvarchar2(4000),
they have special code in there to catch them and change them to nclobs
instead.  They do it all with dynamic SQL instead of just writing the
individual alter table statements and running through them like most
vendors do.

Scott Canaan '88 (Scott.Canaan@xxxxxxx)

(585) 475-7886

"Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put
into it." - Tom Lehrer.

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 07:24:01 -0400
From: JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; srcdco@xxxxxxx

We are in the midst of a v4.3 to v6 upgrade as well.  We have been
having problems with the upgrade.sql script getting an "invalid sql
statement" error.  We have just identified the problem.  Is this the
same error you are getting?

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Database Administrator
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113

>>> "Scott Canaan" <srcdco@xxxxxxx> 9/8/08 4:23 PM >>>

   I'm looking for anyone else that is using Kronos.  We are trying to
upgrade from Workforce Central v5.1 to v6.0 and have been having
problems.  They have a script, called upgrade.sql that has an anonymous
PL/SQL block in it that does a lot of dynamic SQL.  That block aborts
part way through as they are trying to convert all of their text fields
from varchar2 to nvarchar2 (and char to nchar and clob to nclob).  There
is no exception processing in the block and I'm having trouble
determining which table it is aborting on.  We are creating the test
database by cloning from production.  The vendor says that we have to
copy production to test via export / import to do the upgrade
successfully.  My answer to that is that if we can't successfully
upgrade a clone of production, then how can we upgrade production?

   My question is: Has anyone successfully done this upgrade?

We are on Oracle 10.2.0.4 Enterprise Edition, upgraded from 9.2.0.6 just
prior to the Kronos upgrade.  I know that this is a bit off-topic, but
hopefully someone here has done this and can help point me in the right
direction.

Thank you,

Scott Canaan '88 (Scott.Canaan@xxxxxxx)

(585) 475-7886

"Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put
into it." - Tom Lehrer.

Scanning of this message and addition of this footer is performed
by SurfControl E-mail Filter software in conjunction with
virus detection software.

Get more out of the Web. Learn 10 hidden secrets of Windows Live. Learn
Now
<http://windowslive.com/connect/post/jamiethomson.spaces.live.com-Blog-c
ns!550F681DAD532637!5295.entry?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_getmore_092008>