Re: Any high speed interconnect with RAC?

  • From: "Anand Rao" <panandrao@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "K Gopalakrishnan" <kaygopal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:45:28 +0530

Sure Gopal.

RSM over SCI was/is a disaster. they had some major problems with failover
and redundancy and all that. it might still work fine for a single
interconnect on a 2-node cluster, i wouldn't dismiss it altogether though.
Some of the sites were E-Business Suite (better to light years away from
this app) and some were other custom applications. each one of them had
their share of problems with RSM.

If you have free time to kill, just browse Metalink for RSM and SCI. you
will be swamped.

Memory Channel is the BEST i have seen till date. works like a charm. 6-node
is the most i have gone with MC and its good great speed and reliability.
just check to ensure you got the rdg parameters sorted out. Otherwise, its a
piece of cake that just confirms that Tru64 is still the one to beat :-)

not done much with IB uDAPL.

Just some 'unasked for' information....

i think UDP does well on the Gigabit cards. as well as you want it actually.
I have done 8-node RAC on various platforms (different types of
applications) using UDP and with some 1 hour of proper checking for
interconnect config, cluster config and the kernel params, you can just shut
it and forget it.

If you are looking at load balancing, VIP, etc, etc... just spend a little
more time and you should still be fine... be it 9.2.x or 10.2.x.

if someone says, i want to transer 300TB/s over the interconnect, then his
application is stuffed. they shouldn't be using RAC.

thanks
anand

On 28/09/06, K Gopalakrishnan <kaygopal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Kevin,

We have used SCI at couple of sites.

Copying RACDBAs.

Anand, Do you have the details of the SCI test we did with one of our
implementation. Let Kevin have the details.

-Gopal

On 9/27/06, Kevin Closson <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > > I'll rephrase. Is anyone using a high speed interconnect (with low > latency > protocol) for RAC? That would be IB uDAPL, SCI, MemoryChannel, etc, > and not LLT over Ether. > > > >

-- Best Regards, K Gopalakrishnan Co-Author: Oracle Wait Interface, Oracle Press 2004 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/007222729X/

Coming Soon... Oracle10g  RAC Handbook, Oracle Press 2006
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007146509X/

--
All I need to make a comedy is a park, a policeman and a pretty girl -
Charlie Chaplin