Re: An open letter to Larry Ellison on licensing AWR and ASH

  • From: "Syed Jaffar Hussain" <sjaffarhussain@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 17:56:00 +0300

Nice initiative Mark.
However, working in a bank, myself never mind of licencing fee as we have
corporate licence.

Jaffar

On 7/2/07, Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Listers,

   With a great deal of help from several colleagues at The Pythian Group,
I have prepared an open letter to Larry Ellison, suggesting that with the
upcoming release of Oracle 11 he should change the licensing terms
surrounding access to the tables and views underlying AWR and ASH.

   These license terms have been a recurring subject of discussion on this
list, so I hope that this open letter will find a large and interested
audience here.

   The purpose of the letter is not to complain, but rather to champion
AWR and to suggest that its adoption might be both faster and broader with
just a slight relaxation in the licensing terms.  I, for one, would like to
see everybody using it.

   Anyway, for those who are interested, the letter can be found here:

http://www.pythian.com/blogs/526/an-open-letter-to-larry-ellison-on-awr-and-ash-licensing

   Please come by, read it over, and if you wish add your voice to the
petition.  The planned release date for Oracle 11 is fast approaching; it is
our goal to present this letter in time to influence the licensing terms for
this new release and with enough community support to make a truly
compelling case.

--
Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead

--
Best Regards,
Syed Jaffar Hussain

http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#hussain
"Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."