RE: Always return at least one value

  • From: Stephen.Lee@xxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:48:40 -0600

I don't want to run this into the ground but ...

It appears that the added parse time (I'm guessing, too lazy to trace it),
when sent in as an individual statement, accounts for the majority of the
extra time with Stephane's example.  When both ways are put into procedures
and the procedures called 1,000 times, the existence check approach runs
1,000 times in 2.00 seconds, and the other in 2.05 seconds.  This isn't a
true rigorous test since I'm just calling with the same parameters every
time and there is no memory flushing going on.  But I figure it's a good
enough test for government work or space shuttle work.

Ok.  I think I'm done now.

Unless somebody comes up with something amazing.