Re: "All triggers are evil",..., really?

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 23:28:59 +1000

Yes, sure.  The problem I've found is that management
very easily takes the next step:  "let's go for 24x7
5 9's now that we achieved 8-8 so easy".  After all,
it's what all those "web folks" are doing, ain't it?

That's when life gets interesting because more times
than I care to recall they expect it to cost the same
and if we can't deliver it, it obviously must be our
fault!

And why I tend to nip these things in the bud:
before they become a disaster waiting to happen!
:)

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto

Niall Litchfield wrote,on my timestamp of 4/09/2008 9:50 PM:
I'm fairly sure that I'd react in much the same way, but actually I
don't think it unreasonable to define availability in terms of
availability within specific windows, esepcially when talking about an
SLA. When I go to Tescos (grocery store), I expect it to be 100%
available within it's advertised hours. I don't expect it to be open
when it says it will be shut. An IT service it seems to me could learn
from this. The kicker of course is when the business decides that the
advent of the web means that you are open all day every day, as you
say pretty damn expensive, probably impossible, and likely not worth
it. But the principle of saying "We have 5 9's availability 8-8 every
day" doesn't seem to me to be a bad thing - Gartner will never go for
it obviously.