Re: "All triggers are evil",..., really?

  • From: "Gints Plivna" <gints.plivna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mcdonald.connor@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 16:59:58 +0300

2008/9/3, Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor@xxxxxxxxx>:
> I always find it hilarious when you have to wear the day-to-day hit of
> capturing changes to every row on every row due to some "cast hard in
> concrete business rule of - thou shalt audit everything" ....but then take a
> system outage because a large scale data change has to occur, and the same
> people then insert ..."but we don't want to audit that" comes along the
> line...

If audit triggers are disabled and data entered via scripts, then
normally audit data should be collected via some scripts in one big
chunk. Of course real life sometimes differ from "normally", for
example, just because someone remebered to disable audit but forgot to
add also audiot data :)

Gints Plivna
http://www.gplivna.eu