Re: "All triggers are evil",..., really?

  • From: "Bill Ferguson" <wbfergus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amar.padhi@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 06:29:16 -0600

My system relies heavily on instead_of triggers.

One of the requirements during initial design was that I had to allow
for ODBC connectsions to my database, so users could access the data
with ARC. Since if I allow ODBC, that opens up tremendously what other
kinds of apps could access my database as well. Also, since I have
little to no control over what all of the different PC's are running,
I built most of the logic into the triggers. This was the only way I
could see having all of the business logic accessible to everything,
no matter what application (ARC, Access, Filemaker, etc.) was used to
access and modify the data.

--
-- Bill Ferguson