RE: Accidentally created local df in RAC

  • From: Herring Dave - dherri <Dave.Herring@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rodrigo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rodrigo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 14:08:37 +0000

That's the solution Oracle gave but unfortunately the database is in
noarchivelog mode so it doesn't work.  If I was given the opportunity to
restart the db I'd then do the following:

1)      Use DBMS_FILE_TRANSFER to copy the file to ASM.

2)      Rename the datafile.

3)      Shutdown the db then startup mount.

4)      Recover the datafile, then online it.

5)      Open the db.

I believe that since the db is in noarchivelog, having this offline'ed datafile
in an online state of RECOVER doesn't affect anything.  In a way the
noarchivelog mode is a hinderance and a blessing, in that no online backup
operations can be done so Oracle won't complain about this datafile.  Once a
week BCV backups are done which require a shutdown so I may try to work with
that to clean things up.  But again, if I leave things as is there shouldn't be
any issues either.

It's been a learning experience as I don't believe I've ever had to deal with
ASM + RAC + >8i + a db in noarchivelog mode.

DAVID HERRING
DBA
Acxiom Corporation
EML   dave.herring@xxxxxxxxxx
TEL    630.944.4762
MBL   630.430.5988
1501 Opus Pl, Downers Grove, IL 60515, USA
WWW.ACXIOM.COM<http://www.acxiom.com/>

[Friend Us on Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/acxiomcorp>  [Link Us on
LinkedIn] <http://www.linkedin.com/groupRegistration?gid)01735>   [Follow Us on
Twitter] <http://twitter.com/acxiom>

[cid:image004.png@01CB84F1.26214350]
The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended
only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error,
please resend this communication to the sender and delete the original message
or any copy of it from your computer system. Thank you.