Re: Accidentally Delete *.dbf Files, OH NO!!!

  • From: Steven Patenaude <spatenau@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:50:53 -0600

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:40:10 +0000, stephen booth
<stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:26:36 +0000, David Sharples
> <davidsharples@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > lock down the os account so you cant log in as the owner of the file
>
> Doesn't help when they're logging in as root.  Root can delete any
> file regardless of permissions.
>
> Stephen

I've mainly worked on solaris, now starting on linux.  It seemed like
the original poster said that some other unix flavors actually don't
do the rm if the file is in use.  I've used fuser on files to make
sure they are not in use before rm'ing, is there an alternate version
of solaris rm that'll automatically check for file handles?

Note:  the fuser trick doesn't seem to work on a clustered file system...

STeven