RE: Accidentally Delete *.dbf Files, OH NO!!!

  • From: "Parker, Matthew" <matthewp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mfontana@xxxxxxxxx>, <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:38:36 -0800

1. Normally I tell the SA they are not responsible for database =
filesystems and oh by the way I will run them to 100%, which means you =
do not need to monitor them or worry about them.

2. As long as you allow root access to the uninitiated you will have =
problems. Maybe if they have to restore the datafiles or the database =
instead of you, then they will feel the pain and not make such a =
mistake. Having someone removing files as root, especially without =
checking to see if the file is open, they should be fired.

3. You can try all the tricks in the world (aliases, moving the commands =
to an alternate location, actually recompiling the command so that it =
doesn't let things happen), but without competent and professional =
people, you had better get used to restoring files, since it appears for =
you that the same people that would do all those alternate things, would =
know about them and work around them, thinking they are doing the right =
thing.

Have fun restoring systems.