Accessing informix from oracle - complexity and cost

  • From: Bob <orcl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 19:44:32 -0400

I'm researching options to access an Informix database
Right now, the process involves generating a flat text file, ftp and importing into our Oracle Database . I know I can create an external table agains the flat file, but im looking to connect to the Informix database and issue queries to eliminate file transfers I've heard of Oracle Gateway for Informix Database Heterogeneous services, I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with accessing Informix from oracle and how much cost and trouble is it to set up?

Yep, Ive googled and started reading the doc(s),
http://download.oracle.com/docs/html/B10528_01/ch1.htm#1005648

But its looking bigger than Id like... hopefully soemone here has some info for a more sane direction

Thanks!
Bob

--
"Oracle error messages being what they are, do not
highlight the correct cause of fault, but will identify