RE: Acceptable latency for LGWR-SYNC and LGWR-ASYNC

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>, <hemantkchitale@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 10:53:30 -0400

I think Niall is heading toward what latency being worse than would cause
you to question the set-up for a mis-configuration given certain
infrastucture, while I *think* Hemant is fishing for the acceptable hang on
commit confirmation delay to dictate the network infrastructure
requirements.

If I'm correct, that delay in turn is variable depending on what the
database is being used for. If we're talking about a potential hang in a web
transaction confirmation I'm not sure whether that plays in the same space
as recent measurements about web site conversions. Presumably if your site
displays quickly and they've already invested in making choices to the point
of committing a transaction the delay from that point forward is not as
sensitive and you have a captive audience anyway.

I think it all depends on what you are making people wait for or whether the
lwgr latency is pacing batch job transaction throughput and how close to
acid you need your system to be in site disasters.

Regards, and apologies in advance if I have misconstrued your inquiry.

mwf