Re: About Hot backup.

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 07:12:26 -0800

As always, both.

Just more of it will be written in the redo log
than normal if the tablespace is in backup mode.

IIRC the first time a block is written to when a
tbs is in backup mode, the entire block is written
to the redo log, which is not normally done.

This is so that recovery can take place in the case
of a block split during backup of the datafile.

A block split can occur when the blocksize of the
datafile and the blocksize of the database are
different, and oracle is updating a block at the
same time one or more (but not all) of the OS blocks
that make up the database block is being written to
the backup medium.

Following that initial full block write to redo,
deltas of that block are written to the redo.

There is no doubt a lot more underlying detail, but
that is the gist of it.

This is all moot if using RMAN though, as tablespaces
are not put into backup mode in that case.

HTH

Jared