Re: AWE implementation on Windows 2000 - Potential solution for intermittent TNS-12560

  • From: Tony van Lingen <tony_vanlingen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 14:57:49 +1000

Hi Guillermo,

That AV software, it wouldn't be one of the more comprehensive modern ones that automatically block network traffic to "suspect" hosts? Does it run on-acces scanning? In my experience, even if it does not block access, the time delay that it causes (or perhaps even errors) in passing through blocks from the file-system to the database causes no end of odd problems.

If it runs only the database, you'd be better off by running periodic checks only and disabling the network services that are most frequentlyy abused, such as the "server" service. This is only necessary to share filesystems (which you don't want on a database server) and printers. Even if you don't configure shares, it still exports the "hidden" administrative shares. We also place our windoze database servers outside the corporate domain, which eliminates risks from remotely authenticated usergroups etc. Combined with closing of all non-essential ports you get close to a hardened system, and AV software becomes less of an issue. You basically need only the oracle ports to be accessible.

Cheers,
Tony

Guillermo Alan Bort wrote:
Listers,

I have a two node 9i RAC on Windows 2000 (SP4) Advanced Server. This database serves a Siebel software running on a different machine. I don't know why these are windows machines, and I have no prior experience with RAC on windows. I know some of you might, but I'm not so sure about 9i.

As this is 9i (9.2.0.8.0) ASM is out of the question. This particular setup is based on OCFS (OCSF1, of course) with the latest patchset applied to the srvm.

Now, the problem started some time ago with frequent instance evictions (actually the version back then was 9.2.0.5.0) becoming more frequent after an anti-virus upgrade. I have requested to add oracle osd9i and oracle_home to the exception list of the AV, but with no luck so far (they have not done so yet). I applied 9.2.0.8.0 both to CRM and OH in order to be in a supported level, and opened an S.R. with Oracle.

Instance evictions have actually dimished considerably (if not stopped) but a new problem arose. Since the upgrade we have been getting several TNS-12560 Protocol Adapter Error from one of the nodes (the second one) which is the one most users use to connect. After opening yet another SR with Oracle, they suggested that I should increase the buffer cache. Now, this is windows 2000, with 6GB (and obviously PAE wnabled at the OS level) but I've been unable to extend the db_cache beyond the 2G limit.(I did indeed use indirect_data_buffers and the legacy parameter db_block_buffers). Even so, I'm not able to extend the SGA beyond 2G.

I've researched metalink and I'm most certain I'm missing something. so I was wondering what you take on this is, and if you have any ideas.

On the other hand, I will get a SP report to make sure we have no wild queries and try to install OSW to monitor os performance.

Thanks in advance.
Alan Bort
Oracle Certified Professional (just in 10g)