RE: AUTOEXTEND

Connor,

    You obviously live a charmed life.

  _____

From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Connor McDonald
Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 9:52 AM
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: AUTOEXTEND

There's always exceptions to every rule, but lets say there is suddenly
a "came-from-nowhere" requirement to collect bucketloads more audit
information.  In that case, before I turn on auto-extend -  I'm asking
the customer/client about

a) what happens to my backups - will they still fit on my existing
secondary storage/tape
b) will those backups complete within available windows
c) archive log space ok ?
d) what is collection and retrieval going to do my server resources, and
my SLA's for responsiveness of the system
e) if its RAC, what instance(s) is that audit data being grabbed from -
is my interconnect going to be toasted

gotta be thinking that in order to get answers to those questions, I'll
at least have a reasonable idea of how much data I'm gonna get (and
hence obviate the need for autoextend).  If the customer can't give me
answers - then the next thing is to ask them to sign off as "no
guarantees" on all the things above.

Cheers
Connor

On 10/5/05, Goulet, Dick <DGoulet@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

        Connor,

            I respectfully disagree.  We laid out a production database
based of the end user's requirements and the desires of the 3rd party
provider.  All went just fine for 6 months, until the auditors tossed
the proverbial monkey wrench into the works.  Right now we still do not
know how large this database is going to grow since we've now got
nothing to base our estimates on.  BTW: neither do the auditors.  Now
how do you plan for the unknown??

        Dick Goulet

  _____