Re: ASM+internal disks

  • From: Kevin Closson <ora_kclosson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 08:45:25 -0700 (PDT)

Here's how I look at this. The following are true 1) there is no networked
storage so all disks are the same, 2) the database is important and 3) the
Oracle software and OS are equally important. Also, in spite of the fact that I
got no information back regarding how the disks are attached (e.g., the make
and
model of the RAID card) I think we can all be quite certain that the card
supports HW raid. To that end, I would simply configure all 8 drives in a HW
raid configuration. I see no benefit in the slice and dice. I also see no value
in ASM in such a situation but I suppose this could be standard edition or some
other such software that forces its use?

So, Niall, we agree: "...software RAID? Seriously?"  :-)