Re: ASM versus Filesystems

  • From: Surachart Opun <surachart@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: po04541@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 12:43:18 +0700

ASM uses Direct I/O, Asynchronous I/O like raw device and no buffer like
filesystem.
So, ASM make performance better than file system. If you're using RAC, you
should use ASM.

ASM, you have to use rman to maintain and backup files.
File System... it's easy, if you need to COLD backup database.

read many ASM idea at
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/asm/index.html

Good Luck
Surachart Opun