Re: ASM versus Filesystems

  • From: Thomas Roach <troach@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vnulllists@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 16:52:20 -0500

Jakub,

You make some very excellent points. I think "it depends" is a perfectly
good answer because there are so many factors/needs that not any one thing
is going to win out here.

One thing I love about ASM is that it lets me balance luns in and out of ASM
while eliminating database downtime. Are there other ways to get around
this? Are there options to resize things on the fly? Absolutely, but ASM has
worked well for me. For others it might be a different story because of
comfort levels with existing technology, other needs and / or learning
curves of learning a new technology.

Me personally, I prefer ASM or DirectNFS over things like using just raw
devices. I would take a filesystem any day over just raw devices :)

Tom

--
Thomas Roach
813-404-6066