Re: ASM on SAN

  • From: Svetoslav Gyurov <softice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cshapi@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:35:26 +0200

Hi Chen,

All of my installation are with EVA and I never got a problem with it, usually performance bottleneck is not in the EVA. As you may know with EVA you have more throughput with more disks across more disk cages, but this is another beer. I also go with the first option, but if I need 100Gb for a disk group I setup two LUNs, 50 Gb each as I observe better I/O.

Greg: Design of the storage layout in EVA is slight different from other storages, here all the disks (usually) are combined in one disk group and then you create LUNs which will allocate equal space at each disk in the disk group.

Also pay attention that EVA block size is 512Kb and EVA write cache is flushed to disks when it reach 4Mb!

Here are some papers:

Oracle 10g ASM and HP EVA8000 - Paper about Oracle10g RAC with Proaliant DL580, Windows 2003 and EVA8000. Probably is not your case, but the paper shows some benchmarks with different configuration of the EVA and hidden params in Oracle:
http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downloads/4AA0-9728ENW.pdf

Oracle 11g on ProLiant with EVA8100 using multiple databases - another one, which is more recent, but has the same information:
http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA1-6194ENW&cc=us&lc=en

Regards,
Sve

Chen Shapira wrote:
Hi Oracle-L,

I'm preparing to install ASM using our EVA storage and I'm trying to
decide how many volumes to request from my storage manager.

There are two configurations we consider:
1) Ask for two volumes - one for data files, the other for flashback,
archive logs, backups, etc. Then run ASM with external redundancy and
external striping. Let EVA do the RAID thing for us.
2) Ask for multiple data volumes and multiple backup volumes.
Configure ASM to do its own striping. Since EVA will do its own
stripe+mirror thing, we'll have double striping.

I'm leaning toward the first option since it seems more manageable.

Does anyone on the least have a good reason to go with the second
option? I'm worried that I'm missing something, because all ASM papers
natually assume there will be multiple ASK "disks".

Chen