Re: ASM on SAN

Hi Greg,

great reply, I second your approach. May I ask a question about the
below paragraph please:

On 02/21/2010 10:23 PM, Greg Rahn wrote:
> The other thing is that most of the storage engineers (people that
> design this stuff) or performance engineers (people that perf test it)
> will tell you there is a sweet spot for the LUN size and
> characteristics.  This varies from array to array, but I would seek
> out this information.  It usually has to do with things like which
> drives are on what controllers and primary vs secondary IO paths, etc.

I remember a MOS document "Note 810484.1 "Recommendation for 4MB ASM
Allocation Unit (AU) size for Oracle 11g" which seems to have
disappeared when I tried to look it up is recommending au_size > 1MB. I
found reference to it under the exadata best practices but I wondered
when you'd set the AU_SIZE to a non-default value.

Our system here isn't too large, 2.5 TB, disk groups ctrllog VRAID 1 for
online redo logs and control files, DATA for data (VRAID 5) and FRA with
VRAID 5 as well. All ASM LUNs are 250G and use external redundancy.
Unfortunately there is a severe lack of spindles and I would have
preferred VRAID 1 for DATA but my comments about IO performance and
checksum'd writes weren't listened to.

Cheers,

Martin
--