RE: ASM is single point of failure ?

>>>What is less plesant with ASM, actually, is a kind of buffered "I/O"
>>>between database and ASM instance processes. I mean, the
>>>blocks should be shipped between them somehow, right? So
>>>some additional CPU cycles are definitely there as well as
>>>more syscalls, context switches, ipc delays.

The misconceptions are the most frightening aspect of ASM.

People are willing to use it and have ZERO idea what it is.
Oddly, I find people fearing things that do not relate whatsoever
(such as the above), but ignoring the bold, glaring issues.
It just bogles my mind.

ASM is not in the I/O code path. Huh, what did he say? Oracle
positions and performs reads and writes and that is done with
either libC, LibODM or if you are a real experimental type ASMLib (on
Linux). There are no comms between a shadow process and an ASM process
for I/O (e.g., db file sequential read, direct path write, etc). There
is for metadata ops, such as adding a datafile, or adding an extent,
dropping a datafile, etc...