RE: ASM disks and how disks are balanced.

  • From: John Hallas <John.Hallas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Suse Shi <sinosuse@xxxxxxxxx>, Herring Dave - dherri <Dave.Herring@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 15:40:30 +0000

Thanks Suse.
This is a quiet test system so the rebalance level was OK at 8.
I agree that it is not the most important thing in the world but I am only
challenging the documentation that states that disks are rebalanced evenly. I
can see that they are with  FRA diskgroups   but not with DATA ones.
I am working on Dave's suggestion of multiple consecutive rebalances  and I can
see it makes a subtle difference (there are about 10 rebalance commands between
the 3 snapshots shown below) but  not a massive difference.
NAME                               AU(Mb)        MIN        MAX        AVG
DATA                                    8      48528      51496 50278.1176
DATA                                    8      48560      51496 50278.1176
DATA                                    8      48912      51232 50278.1176

I have also looked at the imbalance between files and I cannot see anything
difference or improvement after doing the imbalances. Unfortunately the biggest
difference I can see is on a production database diskgroup and I cannot
experiment with that.

John