From: Ghassan Salem [mailto:salem.ghassan@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 4:00 PM
To: Koivu, Lisa
Subject: Re: ASM crash/question

Lisa,
ASM will not crash if any db using it crashed. It doe snot care at all.
Now if all your DBs crashed, you can restart them if ASM is still there.
If ASM does not see the disks anymore, the disk groups will be
dismounted, and so you'll not be able to restart your DBs. You have to
manually remount the disk groups and then the dbs.
Also, it would help if you give some details about the version of db,
os, ....

rgds

On Jan 29, 2008 9:34 PM, Koivu, Lisa <Lisa.Koivu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi All,

I had several non-clustered databases crash simultaneously last week,
all on the same host.

The moments before the crash, I had mentioned to the sysadmin that I
could not log in to the CDE.  He said it had gone into maintenance mode.
Once it was reset, all databases crashed and ASM hung up.  (Has this
happened to anyone before?)

I could not restart the databases, as they could not see the datafiles
in ASM.

I could not shut down ASM, as it thought databases were still connected.

I had to crash ASM with a shutdown abort (boy did that make me nervous)

Once I did that, ASM came up without an issue and so did all the
databases.

Oracle Support very rudely told me that if ASM doesn't have any
databases communicating to it, or if it can't communicate with the
databases it services, it will eventually time out and crash.  This very
curt and discourteous person informed me that "that's the way ASM works"
and there was no documentation he could share with me to educate me on
this issue.

My point was that ASM is a service.  Why would it just die when nothing
was connected?  What if just one database had crashed and couldn't come
up?  I'd then have to crash the other databases this ASM instance
services in order to bring the crashed database up.  This will fly like
a box of rocks when I ask to put this into production.

I was also appalled at how rude this person from support was.  I
actually hope I get an email inviting me to "please take a survey"
because I would actually fill one out this time.   (It was all I could
do to not tell him he was being a jerk about the whole thing.)

If anyone has encountered this scenario, is willing to educate me, or
can direct me to any documentation, etc. I would greatly appreciate it.

Lisa Koivu

Oracle Database Administrator

desk: 407-903-4691

cell: 954-683-4459

This electronic message transmission contains information from the
Company that may be proprietary, confidential and/or privileged. The
information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity
named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any
disclosure, copying or distribution or use of the contents of this
information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic
transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying
to the address listed in the "From:" field.