Re: ASM cannot locate disks

  • From: De DBA <dedba@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mwf@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 21:31:00 +1000

Hi,

This was not the first reboot - I made sure to reboot the entire machine after
setting up ASM for the first time (it's not yet in production :) ). It has been
rebooted several times after without ill effect. The sysadmin noted that the
"invalid disk label" error started appearing some time ago in the syslog
though. The LUNS were labelled, but format currently reports that the disk,
though formatted, is not labelled. The SAN was not down at any stage.

The devices are delegated whole to the zone, and not mounted either in the
global zone or the Oracle zone. There are no errors in any log, apart from the
ones that I posted :(

The permissions are OK, oracle still owns slice 1 as it was originally
configured. Perhaps there is something going on with the Hitachi SAN and raw
partitions? I noted that the "Solaris" presented LUNS feature a whole-disk
device (c...t...d0) that is missing from the "raw" luns...

Cheers,
Tony