ASM cannot locate disks

  • From: De DBA <dedba@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle Discussion List <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 19:16:26 +1000

G'day,

Yesterday the Unix sysadm rebooted a Sun M5000 on which I am running a
Solaris11 zone with Oracle 11.2.0.3 installed in it. ASM has 2 disk
groups, each with 2 disks. Before the reboot we shutdown Oracle and the
zone cleanly, and no errors are logged.

After the reboot, ASM can no longer locate two out of 4 partitions, both
belonging to diskgroup DATA. The difference between the two that are no
longer "discovered" and the two other ones is that they are presented as
RAW by the Hitachi SAN, whereas the good ones (diskgroup REDO) are
presented as "Solaris".

I have ascertained that all LUNs are still visible and accessible to
Solaris, and there is no error on the SAN. No work was done on the SAN
during the outage.

 From the +ASM alert log (alert+ASM.log)
---------------------------------------

ERROR: no read quorum in group: required 2, found 0 disks
NOTE: cache dismounting (clean) group 1/0x65C585A3 (DATA)
NOTE: messaging CKPT to quiesce pins Unix process pid: 7785, image:
oracle@seq-prz1-nextfare (TNS V1-V3)
NOTE: dbwr not being msg'd to dismount
NOTE: lgwr not being msg'd to dismount
NOTE: cache dismounted group 1/0x65C585A3 (DATA)
NOTE: cache ending mount (fail) of group DATA number=1 incarn=0x65c585a3
NOTE: cache deleting context for group DATA 1/0x65c585a3
GMON dismounting group 1 at 2 for pid 17, osid 7785
ERROR: diskgroup DATA was not mounted
ORA-15032: not all alterations performed
ORA-15017: diskgroup "DATA" cannot be mounted
ORA-15063: ASM discovered an insufficient number of disks for diskgroup
"DATA"
ERROR: ALTER DISKGROUP DATA MOUNT  /* asm agent *//* {0:0:2} */

ADRCI reports no incident and no problem! Apparently losing a complete
diskgroup is not an issue.... :(

The spfile is stored in the DATA diskgroup, so ASM starts without
spfile. Repeated reboots do not resolve the problem...

Any suggestions welcome..

Cheers,
Tony