Re: ASM and RAW Devices on RHEL 4

  • From: "Alex Gorbachev" <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 08:40:24 +0100

Thanks Pete.

This is a very usefull document even though it doesn't provide any
performance benchmark figures. As far as I understood, reference
ASMLib implementation for Linux gives two things:

1. Managebility advantage - simplified/automated/stable discovery process.
2. Reduces overhead of managing file descripts.
Another potential benefits (IO intelligence, hints, write validation)
are only available with storage vendor's specific ASMLib
implementations which are not available yet (are they?).

Thanks again,
Alex