ASM Upgrade from 10.2 to 11.2 erroring with ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

  • From: "Tyfanie Wineriter" <tyfaniew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 15:35:19 -0700

Hi all!

First, I have 2 SRs open about this, and neither one seems to be making any
progress on this. (Long story as to why there are 2, but it's not entirely
relevant)  I have googled for days on end, poured through logfiles, and
tried so many combinations, I'm practically dizzy.  Truly, I feel as though
I have exhausted my options before I bring this before you.

I am running into some troubles upgrading from 10.2.0.4 ASM to 11.2.0.1
GRID.

Environment:
10gR2 2-node RAC cluster running 10gR2 ASM & 10gR2 databases.
A few minor abnormalities:
        1) Running $TNS_ADMIN all under the asm_1 directory (symlinks from
other ORACLE_HOMES to that one), as suggested by the consultant long ago
        2) Installing the GRID onto a new hard drive, in a different
directory structure than where 10gR2 lives.

Problem:
Using the OUI, I upgrade CRS from 10.2.0.4 to 11.2.0.1 with no problems.  It
upgrades, and comes up in the new location, and the new version, without any
problems.  Everything comes up, it's pretty, and the OUI moves on.
The NETCA runs and reports success.
The ASMCA pauses "In Progress" for a little less than a minute and then
reports "INS-20802 Automatic Storage Managemetn Configuration Assitant
Failed.  The Plug-in failed in its perform method."  Looking into the logs,
I can see the Oracle_Home is finding the correct 10g ASM directory, it sees
the listener & tests lsnrctl (which shows ASM), it sees the grid_Home, tests
whether the Oracle_Home is shared between nodes (it's not), etc.  At the end
of this mess, it calls Sqlplus, at which point these lines appear:

[main] [ 2010-07-02 14:55:50.707 PDT ] [UsmcaLogger.logException:171]
SEVERE:method
oracle.sysman.assistants.usmca.backend.USMInstanceRac:checkAndStartupInstanc
[main] [ 2010-07-02 14:55:50.707 PDT ] [UsmcaLogger.logException:172]
ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

[main] [ 2010-07-02 14:55:50.707 PDT ] [UsmcaLogger.logException:173]
oracle.sysman.assistants.util.sqlEngine.SQLFatalErrorException: ORA-01034:
ORACLE not available

Attempted solutions:
1) I've quit out & tried running the ASMCA separately (it errors out &
reports "ASMCA detected pre 11gR2 ASM, but it does not have a local instance
configured on this node. If you want to upgrade ASM to 11gR2, you need to
run ASMCA on a node where pre 11gR2 ASM instance is configured.")
2) We normally have a non-default listener port for ASM, but I have tried
both ports
3) Tried copying over our tnsnames/listener to the GRID_HOME/network/admin
4) Tried ASM up, ASM down, Instances up, Instances down, listener up,
listener down, a CRS restart, etc
5) And I've deinstalled ...err.. "De-Configured" 11gR2 at least 4 times to
6) Also originally had it using a new $ORACLE_BASE, but have since reverted
back to using the same $ORACLE_BASE that 10g is using.

Has anyone experienced anything like this when they've been doing their
upgrade?  I've pulled out so much hair, I'm thinking about going into
wig-making when this whole DBA thing doesn't pan out. :D

Thanks in advance,

~ Tyfanie Wineriter ~

Database Administrator
University of Oregon