RE: ASM Startup Help!

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <peter.sharman@xxxxxxxxxx>, <oraracdba@xxxxxxxxx>, "Michael Saffitz" <m@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 14:23:21 -0500

If you're experiencing "device creep", one thing to CONSIDER is using
/etc/scsi.alias together with scsidev (usually -M) in order to give specific
LUNs specific names. Then you need to make sure you understand how to
reference the devices by the scsi.alias name instead of the creeping device
names. Then your /etc/raw file and the subsequent bindings become immune to
the creep. However, (and especially if you're using device virtualization
software with services that get started later than usual for device services
in the boot sequence) you may need to play around with the order and phases
and delays to totally automate rebooting, or defer some of these activites
from the normal order and execute them late in the reboot sequence in an
exact order you know should work. Andy Rivenes mentioned some restart issues
a few weeks ago and you might want to flash back to his work-around to a
particular situation to see if it is applicable to you.

As for the ealier poster (Michael), you mentioned disappearing disks- was
that only on reboot, or did you experience dynamic loss of device visibility
at run time?
Absent evidence to the contrary, I believe "device creep" and timing issues
with respect to the order of starting services are sufficient to explain
devices going missing on a reboot, but if you've seen ASM devices "go
missing" dynamically it gives me the willies!

Regards and Happy Holidays,

mwf