Re: ASM Record Deletions

  • From: Sanjay Mishra <smishra_97@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Alex Gorbachev <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 14:12:33 -0700 (PDT)

Alex  Here is what I am referring. As per the notes and even on the Link
http://www.dbasupport.com/oracle/ora10g/ASM01.shtml   Implementing ASM Storage
In Oracle Databases  Every database instance that uses ASM for file storage
will also need two new processes. The Rebalancer background process (RBAL)
handles global opens of all ASM disks in the ASM Disk Groups, while the ASM
Bridge process (ASMB) connects as a foreground process into the ASM instance
when the regular database instance starts. ASMB facilitates communication
between the ASM instance and the regular database, including handling physical
file changes like data file creation and deletion.
  ASMB exchanges messages between both servers for statistics update and
instance health validation. These two processes are automatically started by
the database instance when a new Oracle file type - for example, a tablespace's
datafile -- is created on an ASM disk group. When an ASM instance mounts a disk
group, it registers the disk group and connect string with Group Services. The
database instance knows the name of the disk group, and can therefore use it to
locate connect information for the correct ASM instance.

  Now as per the Documentation

  OCSSD:
- OCSSD is part of RAC and Single Instance with ASM
- Provides access to node membership
- Provides group services
- Provides basic cluster locking
- Integrates with existing vendor clusteware, when present
- Can also runs without integration to vendor clustware
- Runs as Oracle.

  You are right that I can check this from v$asm_client and even can check the
diskgroup information from v$asm_diskgroup on the database instance that will
show as what diskgroup are available on the associated ASM instance. What I am
trying to find is that where and how this Group services works. Is there any
file that will be maintained by CSS or something linked to it.

  Sorry it is stupid question but I am trying to understand more deep concept
when my company is planning to go all installation using ASM.

  Sanjay

Alex Gorbachev <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sanjan,

I have an impression that you are trying to do something wrong because
your questions are somewhat strange. At least, I don't understand
where are you going. Perhaps, you could explain a bit more what you
are trying to achieve

Regarading you questions:
ASM sees database instances connected as clients. You can see ASM
clients in the V$ASM_CLIENT view of the ASM instance.

Alex

2006/6/15, Sanjay Mishra :

--
Best regards,