RE: ASM & HACMP

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fuadar@xxxxxxxxx>, "Thomas Roach" <troach@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 17:28:09 -0400

IHAC that did something like this with Veritas.  The trick is, don't use
CSSD to manage the shutdown/startup of the database.  Make the ASM
instance itself another HACMP-managed process, and make it part of the
dependency group for the actual running database.

This only works, if you're doing pure active-passive, with the standby
node not running ASM.  The other way, if you want to have multiple nodes
running databases is to have your database online and offline scripts
reconfigure the ASM instance to change the asm_diskstring to suppress
looking at the disks of the database that are leaving, or add them to
the diskstrings that are joining.

As other folks have said, far better to run CRS+RAC-enabled ASM+SI
Oracle.

Matt