ASM Dependency on VIP and

  • From: Naqi Mirza <naqimirza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 12:19:50 -0700 (PDT)

Currently running RAC with ASM. I have 2 questions (hoping someone has
experienced this):

1. A public network failure results in a relocation of the vip. The relocation
of the vip results in the corresponding asm instance shutting down, which in
turn stops the rdbms instance associated with it. There is a workaround in
metalink, that discusses how to remove this dependency (for releases under
I was wondering if anyone has used this workaround? I also wanted to know if
once this dependency has been removed, and there is a public network failure -
once this (public network failure) is resolved does the vip automatically
relocate back to its original node or does this still need to be done manually.
Apparently in once the public network issue is fixed the vip will
automatically relocate back - since asm no longer has a dependency it and the
rdbms instance will not need to be started.

2. Can or Has anyone tested public network failures in - does it work
as advertised ?

Copy addresses and emails from any email account to Yahoo! Mail - quick, easy
and free.