ASM

  • From: "Steiner, Randy" <RASTEIN@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 10:12:50 -0500

I am planning the migration of my data warehouse to new blade servers with
10g on Linux.  I have a san with forty 72 gig drives.  I am confused about
how to setup the fault tolerance with the ASM.  Do I setup raid at the
hardware level and then use ASM or should I just give ASM all the disks and
use software level raid?

Also, when creating disk groups with ASM, should I create one group for all
100 gigs of data and another group for indexes?  Do I want 1 large group or
several smaller ones?

Also, if I have 4 blade servers, is there one ASM instance on the SAN or
does each blade need a local ASM instance?

Thanks

Randy