RE: ASM

  • From: "Bort, Guillermo" <guillermo.bort@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>, <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 10:39:32 -0500

<QUOTE>

Now against that, and in addition to Jared's points. I'd ask why
consider a storage solution that only works for Oracle files (and even
then not all Oracle files. I keep other files on my servers you know.
Including stuff you'd expect to be there like alert.logs, cron scripts
and so on.

</QUOTE>

ASM is designed as a CLUSTER FILESYSTEM, that's why it only supports
files that *need* to be shared across all nodes. Alerts, cronts, etc are
instance-dependant, so you only need them in the local server. Also, if
you want a 'traditional' cluster filesystem, you can always use OCFS,
although I wouldn't recommend it to anyone I don't utterly hate... :P

I've had experiences with veritas cluster filesystem not working for
RAC. Really, in 10g+ ASM is the best way to go... and in 9i RAC, I'd go
with raw devices instead of any cluster filesystem.

I'm a DBA and I have little but contempt for SAs (the ones I personally
know, anyway), so I don't really care that they don't like ASM... :P

I'd like ASM to work for OCR and VOTING, but that is a contradiction by
design.

Regards

Guillermo Alan Bort

DBA / DBA Main Team