Re: ASM

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jkstill@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 16:25:21 +0100

Reasons *for* ASM that I can see. I agree with most of your negatives :).

   -  Ease of file management - which is mostly OMF rather than ASM per se.
   (that's a disagreement!)
   -  Ease of disk management - having the ability to migrate a db from one
   set of physical disks to another witout downtime is very, very cool.
   - On windows avoiding the whole drive letter management thing.

Now against that, and in addition to Jared's points. I'd ask why consider a
storage solution that *only* works for Oracle files (and even then not all
Oracle files. I keep other files on my servers you know. Including stuff
you'd expect to be there like alert.logs, cron scripts and so on.

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 8:48 PM, Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 6:21 AM, Dan Norris <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>

>> If you would, please share with us your reasons to avoid ASM. Based on
>> your response, I'm guessing that the reasons might include "because that's
>> the way I've always done it".
>>

> Personally, I don't use it as it adds more complexity to our environment.
>
> We (by which I really me 'I') don't need to add any more complexity.
>
> * Additional instance for ASM
> * file management is simpler
> * storage admins have easy direct access to see what's on disk.
>
> I'm sure there are some rebuttals to this.
>
> Let's hear 'em!
>

> Jared Still

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA