Re: AMD vs Xeon 64 bit

  • From: "Jurijs Velikanovs" <j.velikanovs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: anjo.kolk@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 14:50:29 +0100

Hello there,

I think it is great that nowadays that effective HW exists.
I tend to recommend x86 platform to my customers as well.

But I can't understood why customers still buying HW based on RISC CPU-s.
There have to be something good about RISCs beside politics and good
mng relationship with vendors' representatives.
Can anybody advice ? (Anjo?)

Please don't tell me that is is about skills that particular customer
have on board.
There is no that significant difference between Linux and Unix.
The savings are dramatic. 1M-30k ~ = 1M
Even if a customer would invest 10% of savings in people (education) i
believe the difference will be covered.

Can you advice any field where RISCs will bit x86 ?

Thank you in advance,
Yury

On 9/5/06, Anjo Kolk <anjo.kolk@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dl 585 is the one to go for. Buy the fastest and most memory that you can and you will be smiling the whole day. I just advised a customer to replace their 16 cpu SUN sparc box with a 4 CPU dual core Opteron. The sun box was 1 million dollar, the opteron costed around 30K dollar. They went live over the weekend and and they are very happy :-)

Anjo.

--
Anjo Kolk
Owner and Founder OraPerf Projects