Re: AMD vs Xeon 64 bit

  • From: "Glenn Stauffer" <alaxsxaq@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VIVEK_SHARMA@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 07:28:50 -0400

I'm not sure of your timeframe for the purchase, IBM, Sun, and HP are all
releasing new or updated 4 socket AMD Opteron systems based on the new
Socket F.

From what I can see, only IBM has a 4 Socket system with the new AMD
Socket-F on the market right now, the new x3755.

Sun's 2 socket systems have moved to Socket F, but not the 4 socket systems
as of yet.   Sun has a 4 socket Opteron server with integrated storage - up
to 48 disk drives in a 4u server.  Sun also has an 8 socket Opteon server.
They still have the v40z in the product line, but that system is getting a
bit long in the tooth and is just a re-badged Newisys server that put Sun on
the opteron map a bunch of years ago.

HP should release the DL385 G2 and DL585 G2 by year end - search around and
you'll find press releases and specs on these systems.

I'm making a purchase decision on DB and VMware infrastructure servers this
month and considering the IBM servers, but I am looking at the viability of
the current generation blade platforms - possibly the 4 socket Opteron
blades for my new DB servers.

--
Glenn Stauffer