Re: AIX pinned memory

On 12/14/2006 05:46:19 PM, Allen, Brandon wrote:

> And I'm not sure, but the vmstat man page leads me to believe that this
> pool may include FS buffers,

This may be the key: if buffer pages are dynamically pinned an
FILESYSTEMIO_OPTIONS is
not set to DIRECTIO or SETALL, then the difference you're seeing might be
explained by
AIX file system buffers used to cache database files. I assume that your
database is
on JFS2, which supports not only direct and asynchronous I/O but also something
called
"concurrent I/O" which additionally speeds up I/O from shared memory segments.
Actionable advice: set your FILESYSTEMIO_OPTIONS parameter to SETALL (there is
no reason
not to do so on AIX) and see whether the number of pinned pages has decreased.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mladen-gogala.com